Friday, April 19, 2013

Some background on how I record, produce and perform albums


I will be attempting to finish my album next week, which is freaking exciting but also a bit nerve racking. There's a lot to organise.

Stef Animal, my producer, is set to go. We've booked Emery Music Services for 7 days.  I am recording in Wellington, because that's where I started and it's where much of my support and music buddies live. I'll be staying with my parents and I'm hoping my Mum will have some tasty food at the ready when I get home late at night. 

When I recorded my last albums I'd spent 5 years at home trying to learn how to play, write, record and produce songs. I'd done this mostly on my own, taking University and other courses to teach me in areas I wasn't able to teach myself. It was Hannah Curwood, a friend and musician from Auckland, who convinced a very shy me to give her a CD of demos. She played it to Dale Cotton (producer Dunedin), who then contacted me and asked me if I needed a producer and would I come and record with him. I decided to do it. I didn't know how to play the drums, bass etc. so he asked some of his friends to help us (Bob Scott, Rob Falconer etc). Tristan Dingemans was good friends with Dale and I and came and played some guitar. So that's how the other instruments got played on the Sophie Burbery album. The Little Bark album was recorded right before I went to Dunedin. A long time music collaborator, Conrad Wedde (The Phoenix Foundation) agreed to make the Little Bark album (EP) with me just before I went to Dunedin. He and I spent long nights recording that album. I was working during the day, so would pick him up after work and we'd go to the Car Club (a Wellington music studio) and would work until well after midnight. It was exhausting, but the two of us had a lot of fun, making all the music ourselves (it was all electronic).

I had to make the album to work with other musicians. No one would take me seriously/form a band with me before that. Once I released the album, and people could hear that I had some talent and was driven to succeed, I was able to form a band of musicians to help me play live. These guys became very close friends and helped me manouvre through a world in which I had very little experience. I didn't even know them before I released the album, had I, I have no doubt they would have supported me from the very start. And god they knew how to have fun making music. Which is really really important. I can't wait to work with Menno Huibers (guitarist) and Regan O'Brien (bassist) again next week. It's gonna be awesome. 

For this album, I recoded some good demos, Stef and I have been working to build (and replace) the sounds. I love working with Stef. He's got very similar tastes to me, is an amazing producer. Keeps me focussed (I have a very short attention span), encourages met etc etc. I'm a very lucky lady.

I would love to have this album pressed on vinyl, but may need some funding to do this. I fund all my recording myself, and it costs a lot of money and time. Knowledge of secret piles of money anywhere would be greatly appreciated. 

Wish me luck

Oh also:
You can buy (and hear) my last album here 


No comments:

Post a Comment