Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The 4th week of recording my second album USB

Sometimes I realise I am a very happy and fortunate human being. 

I spent the last 7 days, working between 10-12 hrs a day, recording my second album, USB, with Stef Animal.

What an amazing experience. 

I wrote and began recording this soundtrack album at the beginning of 2012. The songs came very quickly, as did the key melodies and drum beats. 

I spent a lot of time learning about drum beats while writing the album. Thanks geeky music sites! Stef and I then began importing some of these, replacing them with better samples ;) and imported the key synths (I have spent a number of years sampling, as well as buying, my favourite synths).

Then we spent 2 weeks last year doing more recording. We record at Emery Music Services in Wellington. It's like an underground bunker, which is quite an appropriate place to record this album. It's dark and gritty and heavy, mixed with pop. 

Stef and I are on the same page when it comes to how we want it to sound. We share very similar taste in music. I sorta have to pinch myself that I get to work with her. She's so good at engineering and producing, it's so easy and so much fun. 

We have just completed another week of recording. Menno came in and recorded some guitars, I finally finished my vocals and Regan played some awesome bass. 

We still have to mix and do some arranging. Another couple of weeks work? I need to find a place to mix in Auckland, so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome. Aim is to release in September. 

I haven't blogged for a week so writing now feels weird.

Here are some songs we 'cleansed' our ears with when recording.
'Age of Consent' New Order
'Walking on a Dream' Empire of the Sun
'Astronomic Club' Air 
'We Share our Mother's Health' The Knife 

You can view the pics and stuff on my facebook site https://www.facebook.com/LittleBark




No comments:

Post a Comment